Liverpool and Milan play in the final of the Champions League 2004/2005 at Istanbul (Turkey) on the 25th of May 2005 and LIVERPOOL WINS ON PENALTIES !!!
AC Milan: Dida, Cafu, Maldini, Stam, Nesta, Gattuso (Rui Costa 112), Seedorf (Serginho 86), Pirlo, Kaka, Shevchenko, Crespo (Tomasson 85). Subs Not Used: Abbiati, Kaladze, Costacurta, Dhorasoo.
Goals: Maldini 1, Crespo 39, 44.
Liverpool: Dudek, Finnan (Hamann 46), Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Kewell (Smicer 23), Baros (Cisse 85). Subs Not Used: Carson, Josemi, Nunez, Biscan.
Booked: Carragher, Baros.
Goals: Gerrard 54, Smicer 56, Alonso 59.
At end of 90 minutes, the score was 3-3. As no goals in extra-time, the game went to penalties. Milan starts:
- 0-0 – Serginho (Milan) misses from the penalty spot. The Brazilian playmaker blasts his effort over the bar.
- 1-0 – Hamann (Liverpool) scores from the penalty spot.
- 1-0 – Pirlo (Milan) missed the penalty saved by Dudek.
- 2-0 – Cissé (Liverpool) scores from the penalty spot.
- 2-1 – Tomasson (Milan) scores from the penalty spot.
- 2-1 – Riise (Liverpool) missed the penalty saved by the goalkeeper.
- 2-2 – Kaka (Milan) scores from the penalty spot.
- 3-2 – Smicer (Liverpool) scores from the penalty spot.
- 3-2 – Shevchenko (Milan) missed the penalty saved by the goalkeeper. Another terrific save from Dudek.
Liverpool has won the Champions League Cup for the 5th time and the Cup is ours to keep!