Of course, as you all know, I’m not interrested at all by the the stock market. And money in general. Isn’t it ? :-)
What is interesting is that the NASDAQ-100 index is a weighted average and there are some companies that financial analysts value more than others.
For instance, today, the top 10 contributors to NASDAQ-100 are :
- Microsoft Corporation (20% contribution compared to the other 9 only)
- QUALCOMM Incorporated (15%)
- Intel Corporation (10%)
- Apple Computer, Inc. (9%)
- Cisco Systems, Inc. (9%)
- Nextel Communications, Inc. (8%)
- Dell Inc. (8%)
- eBay Inc. (8%)
- Amgen Inc. (8%)
- Comcast Corporation (6%)
So who are they ? I’ve categorised them by (primary) sector of activity.
- Microsoft Corporation is the incarnation of the Devil. N’est ce pas ? :-)
- QUALCOMM Incorporated pioneered CDMA and is now developing CDMA2000 and UMTS.
- Cisco Systems, Inc. is the leader in networking for the Internet.
- Nextel Communications, Inc. has the largest all-digital wireless network in the USA.
- Comcast Corporation builds broadband cable networks and provides content.
- Intel Corporation builds loads and loads of processors…
- Apple Computer, Inc. builds the fantastic iPod’s and Mac’s.
- Dell Inc. sells computers not as sexy as Apple’s but still…
- eBay Inc. is the biggest online marketplace for new and used items.
Non computer or network related
- Amgen Inc. is a pharmaceutical company.
Networks and the Internet rule !