Can we, Mauritians, hope that one day our Cybercity will become a new Silicon Valley?
Paul Graham thinks that there can only be one Silicon Valley and it can only be in America.
And I have to admit that I find him pretty convincing.
Let’s look at the main reasons why our own Cybercity will not become a small version of Silicon Valley according to him:
- Mauritius does not have rich investors to finance nerds (we have lots of bureaucrats though).
- A technology hub is not only some buildings.
- A top university is needed and UoM has still a long way to go.
- The area does not have any personality and therefore it’s difficult to attract the best.
- Mauritius is not prepared to wait years and years but, unfortunately, creating a technology hub takes time…
Can we still succeed? I have some doubts.